Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm back...and still scatterbrained

Did anybody miss me? I haven't blogged in nearly 3 weeks. Why? No, I wasn't on vacation (can't afford those these days). I think mostly I felt like I had nothing to say and that nobody would care about anything I had to say even if I did have something to say. Perhaps my old enemy - self-criticism - played a role. And maybe some innocent comments by friends inadvertently led to my inability to write. But today I have forced myself back to the keyboard....still with nothing much to say....

I finally saw "The Hangover" yesterday. It was hilarious...funny all the way through...in fact, it seemed to get funnier as the movie went along. Unfortunately my brain has aged (or at least my priorities) to the point that I can no longer instantly retain all the good memorable lines from movies I've just seen. Also, most of those good lines were probably too vulgar to repeat in this (somewhat) family-friendly blog. To those who have also seen it: I'm still not clear on a couple of things -- 1) How did Phil end up in the hospital? and 2) How did they get the cop car in the first place?

Earlier in the weekend I also saw "The Taking of Pelham 123." It was rather mediocre, as I expected...but not bad. It was entertaining and I believe it sets a new bar for number of uses of the "f-bomb." Seriously. It was so blatant that I got the impression that the director was making a joke out of it - just tossing it into every line of the film. More f-bombs than The Big Lebowski. (That's a lot of f-bombs)

While trying not to pay attention to the news this morning (as these days all it does it agitate, depress, enrage, or otherwise make me feel ill) I couldn't help but notice some segment on exercise for the elderly. And it made me think that we really need to step up the science of creating artificial limbs/organs/entire bodies. I KNOW we can do it! "Oh, but it would cost too much - wahhhh!" Do you know how much it costs to take care of the elderly as it is???? When I get old I want my own replacement organs, robotic limbs that look perfectly real yet out-perform actual human limbs, or even a whole new android body for my brain to run around in. Let's make it happen people! Old age is out there, lurking, waiting, snickering sadisitically to itself in the shadows while fumbling with a package of Twinkies as it watches you go for that Saturday morning jog and come back aching just a tiny bit more each day! He may inevitably take me - but by golly, I'm going down like a Spartan!

Ah, but with socialized health care right around the corner - we're all in big trouble anyway. Just pray you don't get sick. Seriously. We currently have the best health care system in the world - even with all its quirks and problems. But we're about to go back to the Stone Age. But why waste my energy typing about it....those of you who get it - get it. Those who disagree will always disagree. Let's just split the country in two before things get really REALLY out of control. (Because we're already at just "really out of control.")

If any of you haven't seen the Mike Judge film "Idiocracy," do yourself a favor and check it out. Or at least watch the first 5 minutes where they compare the breeding rates of the stupid and non-stupid in our culture. It's funny, alarming, scary, and shockingly accurate.

Hmm...something light and humorous to wrap this blog up with....hmm...

Oh. Over the weekend Petsmart had pet adoption days on both Saturday and Sunday. I'm (jokingly) not allowed to go near that place on such days, yet this weekend I happened to be there both times. But I didn't adopt anything. So, that's good. I CAN fight temptation after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment