Wednesday, May 5, 2010

On Turning 30

So yesterday I joined the 30 club. I went kicking and screaming. And clawing at the floor and doorframes. And blubbering and trying to make irrational deals with no one in particular. It was quite a sight. Luckily YouTube wasn't there to film it.

I still do not feel anywhere near 30. At times I still feel like a kid or teenager. Most times something more in the 22-24 range. You're only as old as you feel. And that's quite true. Human beings physically age at different paces. And we most certainly mentally mature differently as well. After the next 10 years go by in a flash (because they will) I hope I will have "let go" enough to just roll with joining the next "club."

Perhaps it all comes back to living in the present. Like Master Yoda once told Luke (paraphrasing here): "Too old...yes, too old to begin the training." No, wait. That's not the one. Here we go: "This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph."

However you feel about Star Wars, there are really a lot of great truths and inspirations to be taken from a lot of the Jedi philosophy. One of my favorites is the idea of "letting go." We must be able to let go of all the things that we hold onto so tightly. Only then can we be free.

So I'm 30 now. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. One moment I'm alive and the next I'm dead. So time is really irrelevant. I must continue training myself to let go of trying to hold onto life itself. I should just light my tail on fire and enjoy the ride across the sky, like a meteor searing its way through the atmosphere.

1 comment: