Friday, April 3, 2009

Da Bears Have a Quarterback!

Happy Friday to all. We begin today's blog with more glowing blather about the Toyota Tundra: yesterday I drove home through a severe thunderstorm complete with a tornado warning, hail, and roads awash with the sudden torrential downpour. And the Tundra handled it all like a champ. I felt invincible, like a Spartan warrior in a hippy colony.

I also noticed that since I've been driving the Tundra, my sciatica problems have been quite a bit better than normal. I think it has to do with the differing comfort levels of sitting in my truck versus sitting in the Tundra.

Yesterday my Chicago Bears pulled off a dazzling trade for Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler. I've been going back and forth all night over whether they gave up too much for him. They sent Kyle Orton and both this year's 1st round pick and next year's 1st rounder in the exchange. That does sound like a hefty price. However, let's think back on how well the Bears typically draft in the 1st round: such stunning selections as Rex Grossman, Cade McNown, David Terrell, Cedric Benson, etc. More often than not the Bears' 1st rounders wind up as busts. So, in effect, they likely traded a pair of future busts to Denver for a proven, young QB whose presence alone is something they haven't had in a very very very long time. I'm excited. Now let's just shore up that defense and find another wide receiver. And bring back Ditka.

(I've had an idea brewing lately to do an NFL draft blog. Even fewer than normal of you would probably find that interesting. But it could be fun. We'll see if I actually can keep that idea wrangled long enough to do it. And before the actual draft happens at the end of the month.)

Last night Wenders demanded that I come up with blogs that are funnier and feature less complaining. (not sure where I complained during the retelling-of-lunch blog or the Tundra-is-awesome blog, but whatever, Wenders) But - as expected - here I am now unable to write anything remotely funny. Thanks, Wenders. I'm now completely paralyzed (creatively speaking).

Yesterday I randomly began my day with a Doc Holliday quote from Tombstone as my status. This spontaneously led to others posting further Doc quotes throughout the day. What a great movie. It never gets old. It's like Top Gun with its high level of re-watchability and plethora of quotable quotes, but with more credibility as a piece of art. And no Tom Cruise.

Dang. Still paralyzed. I'll get you for this, Wenders!

I've found over the years that I can excel at things when I am NOT supposed to be doing them. For instance, if two of us are working on different projects - I might be dead in the water with mine, but I can look over at what you're doing and assist you with ease. Because I'm not TRYING to do it. The mind clears, the walls cease to exist, calmness floods all the residents of my mind.

Only a little more than a week to go and I can have beer again!

Okay, I'm completely snakebitten now. Time to just wrap this up for the day. Remember, this blog is all Wenders' fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment