Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lunch With the Chem E's

April is going to be a big month. By the end, my life could be heading in a very different direction. And if a month from now certain issues have not been resolved...well...then that would not be good.

On a lighter note, yesterday at lunch I was trying to explain a scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life to my friends Ryan and Jacob (who don't read this blog and who have never seen Monty Python). It went something like this:

Me: ...how did that song go? 'Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at 10 million miles a day'
Ryan: (to Jacob) I wonder what that is in revolutions per minute?
Me: Oh - no - it actually started when the two guys showed up at the door and asked for another guy's liver.
Ryan: (laughs and shares brief glance with Jacob)
Me: They're like (adopts British Monty Python accent) 'Hello, can we have your liver?' And the guy is all 'No, you can't have my liver!' 'Why not?' 'Because I'm using it!' And then they point out that he's signed an organ donor card and that they need his liver so he has no choice but to give it to them. So, they take him into the next room and start hacking out his liver while he's screaming and blood is flying everywhere. Then his wife comes in and (in female Monty Python voice) asks 'Can I get you boys any tea?'
Ryan and Jacob: (laughter and shaking of heads)
Me: So while one of the guys is still ruthlessly hacking out the liver while the poor guy screams and carries on, the other takes the wife into the kitchen and starts hitting on her.
Ryan: (rolls his eyes a little, mocking Rick's long-winded story-telling)
Me: Hey! Don't give me that look - I'll cut your face!
Ryan: I love it when you tell me you're gonna cut my face. There's just something about your tone when you say it.
Me: Yeah, well every day in Physics you randomly look over at me and tell me you're going to kill me. At least all I'm doing is cutting your face.
Ryan: (laughs)
Jacob: And I'm just going to murder both of you when you least expect it.
Ryan: This is true.
Me: ANYWAY! The one guy has the wife in the kitchen and is hitting on her. He keeps trying to convince her to go out with him and she's non-committal, so he then asks 'well...can we have your liver?' She's unsure so he says 'well, maybe this will convince you,' and the refrigerator door opens up and a guy steps out and sings a song -- the one about the planet that's evolving and revolving at 10 million miles a day. After the song she's convinced and says they can have her liver.
Ryan: So what was the meaning of life? Wasn't it 42?
Me: No that was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. At the end of the the movie (Meaning of Life) there's a guy sitting there who says 'Oh, I suppose you want to know the meaning of life,' and he rattles off a short spiel about being nice to children, not eating too much fat, try to have fun, etc, etc.
Ryan: I need more breadsticks.

Ah...those are the moments that make engineering school (almost) bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment